Shortly after receiving word that the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) had cleared proposed rules mandating the use of ELDs (electronic logging devices), the FMCSA issued a revised proposal. The revised rules are to be published in the Federal Register, at which point a 60-day public comment period is kicked off.
After the public comment period, the FMCSA will adjust the technical specifications of the rules, which could take anywhere from three to nine months. The American Trucking Associations (ATA) predicts the final rule will come at the end of this year or in early 2015.
This month, Rand McNally is forging ahead on a path of continuous innovation and releasing new software for all of our mobile fleet management devices, including the HD 100, TND™ 760 and TPC 7600. The software release features significant Hours of Service (HOS) and navigation updates to help you get even more out of our solutions.
- Motorcoach HOS
- Canadian HOS Cylce 1 for U.S. fleets that travel to Canada
- Intrastate HOS rules for Florida, Texas and California
- Support for the California Agricultural HOS exemption
- New setting that eliminates drivers' ability to reject the 34-hour reset
- An updated road network with Rand McNally's award-winning truck navigation incorporating legal and physical restrictions plus page-and-grid references to Rand McNally's Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.
- A new Compare Routes feature, which provides a pimary route and a reasonable alternate, allowing the driver to choose. Both routes are presented on a map for quick review.
- Speed limit updates across the U.S. and Canada.
- More than 50,000 changes that impact routing including vertical clearance and weight restriction updates, number of axles permitted, and low ground clearence railroad crossings ("Hump" RR crossings).
- More than 2,000 truck-relevant point of interest updates including weigh stations, rest areas/welcome centers, and truck friendly hotels, including the addition of 157 resta reas, and 77 CAT Scales.
- Updates to emergency contact phone numbers, and the latest on truck trailer length information by state.
Headed to Louisville for the Mid-America Trucking show? Be sure to visit the Rand McNally booth in the West Wing. We’ll be giving away Motor Carrier’s Road Atlases while supplies last, and offering product demos and show specials. Come learn more about our IntelliRoute® TND™ truck GPS devices, the HD 100 E-Log and mobile fleet management device, and so much more.
Plus, head to room B-104 on Friday March 28 at 11:15 a.m. for "ELDs - Regulatory Highlights and Benefits for Drivers and Fleets," a seminar led by Dave Marsh, Vice President of Research & Development for Rand McNally. In addition to compliance benefits, Marsh will also discuss other ELD (electronic logging device) features that can help drive a quick ROI for fleets.
Walk on over to booth #68144 on March 27, and let’s talk trucking.
Come See Us!
Truckload Carriers Association
March 23-26, 2014
Mid-America Trucking Show
March 27-29, 2014
National Private Truck Council
Education Management Conference & Exhibition
April 13-15, 2014